Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A little bit slower now

I was not planning on blogging during this trip but, despite not having uploaded any pics yet, I think i'm going to make a go of it. Besides, if you are REALLY interested you can see pics on facebook if you go to some of my friends or to the PA WYD group.

We have been on the go since we got off the plane and so I haven't had much time or opportunity to use the internet. We spent 2 nights in Brisbane. Highlight: Australian Zoo where we saw a show by Steve Irwin's wife Terri. Then we travelled south to O'Reilly's, a cold rainforest resort where we did a number of outdoor activities for 2 evenings.

We gladly left the cold mountains, however, and then spent 4 nights in the small town of Taree. Most people loved this as the parish and host families were so welcoming. I think we changed there lives more than they us!! They were so excited to see all these excited Canadians coming to there town! There are 74 of us wearing the same jersey's so ya kind of notice us in the petrol stations!! Haha!

Currently we are in Sydney and WYD was officially began Tuesday night (about midnight Wednesday morning) where everyone is going crazy chanting for love of Country, Jesus, and life. There are about 200,000 pilgrims taking over a city of 5 million. They've blockaded streets, put signs up everywhere, its breathtaking. Typically Aussie's are very hospitable and inviting. However there is some crazy anti-catholic stuff going on like "the pope is the anti-Christ" newspapers as well as handing out condoms. One of our couples got the finger by an Aussie and a few of us got yelled at by a bus driver because basically there were too many of us. I don't remember this in Toronto but generally it is not too bad. Been learning alot as there have been alot of good speakers.

Hope you're watching for me on T.V.!!!

in awe of the power of the Spirit

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

of course I am...and I am off to Germany this coming monday...so I will be trying some real beer (and if I like it I will have one for you...as more than that might be pushing it...sorry ;)

Friartuc said...

Steve! Enjoy Germany! I will be praying for you for sure. God bless and take care!

Anonymous said...

Hey Travis,

I am back in BC now...got tons (ca. 1900 pics) and I bet I have seen one of the biggest and oldest (aside from the Vatican of course) It was the Dome in Cologne (Koln) Germany. One I get things together I will send you those pictures because this church was amazing. Not to mention we arrived just as they were playing the last song for the noon prayer service...it was one thing I will not forget hearing.